The Perth Mint is Australia’s oldest operating mint and a historic landmark in Perth. Built in the 19th century to refine gold brought in from the Gold Rush, the Mint offers a great insight to the history of the goldrush era as well as modern coin making.
The Mint is easy to get to and can be found at 310 Hay Street, East Perth. The free red cat bus stops nearby to the Perth Mint (number 6).
If that isn’t enough to tempt you, we have 10 more reasons why you should visit the Perth Mint.
The History of the Gold rush and the Mint
1. The Perth Mint was opened in 1899 as one of 3 mints across Australia to handle the gold coming in from the gold rush. With the other two mints long closed, this historical building is a must-see.
2. Witness a traditional gold pour in The Perth Mint’s original melting house, which has been fashioned as a small auditorium with the last remaining Furness taking centre stage.
3. The Perth mint has created gold sovereigns, copper coins during war times and gold bullion.
The Modern Mint
4. Today, they mint and market gold, silver and platinum Australian legal tender coinage to investors and collectors.
5. The Perth Mint can also cast and create commemorative coins and gold and celebrate themes through original coin artistry. Examples include the Australian Nugget, the Australian Kookaburra Silver Coin Series, Australian Koala Silver Coin Series, Australian Platypus Platinum Coin Series, and Australian Lunar Gold and Silver Coin Series.
What I can See and Do at The Mint
6. See the Guinness World Record holding largest gold bullion coin. In 2011, The Perth Mint casted of the world’s largest gold bullion coin, the Australian Kangaroo One Tonne Gold Coin.
7. Engrave your own medallion – use your favourite quote or saying to design your own medallion, ready to take away with you when you leave.
8. See Australia’s largest natural nugget collection in the interactive display.
Shop at the Mint
9. The shop offers an extensive range of collector coins, natural gold nuggets, exquisite jewellery, giftware and souvenirs. The Shop stocks all your favourite brands of gold and jewelry including Argyle Pink Diamonds, Ellendale Yellow Diamonds, Kailis Australian Pearls, CoinWatch timepieces, Pandora Jewellery, Pierre Cardin watches, Guess Jewellery, Waterford, Wedgwood, Royal Selangor, Truffle Hill, Thurlby and many others.
10. You can purchase and take home gold bullion there and then or order online for delivery to your door.
To find out more about the Perth Mint, click here.